slapdindex

First, I'm running 2.4.27

A year and a half ago, running 2.4.something-less-than-27, we installed a
device which queried LDAP and was causing a load on the ldap servers.  I found
it was looking for an attribute we didn't have.

I indexed the attribute and I believed that the load was reduced.

I did not add the objectclass which offered the attribute to our objectclasses.

Was I imagining things?

Recently, we have another black box that queries ldap.  I can't control the
attributes which it requests.

I added the attributes to the index and ran the slapindex and no new .bdb files
were generated, even using the -q -t flags, which claims to truncate a database
before scanning for the attribute.  That sounded like a way to maybe trick it
into making an empty database, but no dice.

As an experiment, I ran slapadd to create a new database, with those attributes
in the index list.  It didn't add any of them, nor did it create that single
attribute which I believed I had "fixed" last year.  I'm reasonably sure that
prior openldap versions of both slapindex and slapadd would create the index
for an attribute listed as indexed without it appearing in the data.

I'm curious to know if I was wrong that indexing an attribute would speed the
search even if the attribute did not appear in the schemas used.

Also, does this mean that I have to add whatever schema that new ldap-client
black-box wants to search in order to make the index in order to reduce that
client's ldap server load?

Thanks for any insights.