Re: Adding an object class with required attributes to an existing entry

Nick Milas wrote:
> On 16/12/2011 3:22 ÎÎ, Hallvard Breien Furuseth wrote:
> > With 'changetype: modify', for every attribute type you need
> > 'add:<attrtype>' in front and a line with just '-' after, to
> > separate it from next attr.type.  See 1st 'man ldapmodify' example.
> >
> > Beyond that - it's usually easier to help when you give the error
> > message and the command line you used, not just "it fails".
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have tried using ldapmodify and the following ldif file:
>
>     dn: uid=userx,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
>     changetype: modify
>     add: ObjectClass
>     objectClass: posixAccount
>     -
>     add: uidNumber
>     uidNumber: 1700
>     -
>     add: homeDirectory
>     homeDirectory: /var/members/userx
>     -
>     add: gidNumber
>     gidNumber: 48
>     -
>     add: loginShell
>     loginShell: /bin/false
>
> I found that this works fine using the openldap ldapmodify tool.
> Unfortunately, however, it doesn't work with any other tool (that's
> why I didn't succeed before). I tried with phpLDAPadmin 1.1.0.7,
> JXplorer (3.3 beta) and ApacheDS (2.0.0 beta) and all return an
> error.
>
> phpLDAPadmin: LDIF Parse Error / Description: The attribute to modify
> doesnt match the one specified by the add attribute.
> JXplorer: javax.naming.directory.InvalidAttributeIdentifierException:
> [LDAP: error code 17 - add: attribute type undefined]
> ApacheDS: #!ERROR Record is invalid
>
> Some incompatibility in LDIF syntax perhaps? I'll continue testing to
> see what should be acceptable LDIF syntax for such tools.
>
> Any feedback/experience will be welcome.
I have had a similiar problem with gq. gq is just another gtk based
client. The problem get solved if i add the objectclass top prior to add
any Auxiliary objectclass.

Yes, i know that openldap does not require the objectclass top, but some
clients do their own verifiation.

--

Harry Jede