Re: Searches causing disk writes

Adam Wale writes:
> I'm observing an issue where a large number of searches against an
> openldap server results in a large amount of disk writes occurring.

Maybe you have set a high loglevel in slapd.conf, or you are using the
slapd '-d' argument.

Loglevel is what gets logged to syslog.  Default logevel is 'stats'
(256), which gives a few lines per LDAP request.  Some years ago our
site had to set loglevel=0 because it could not handle all the
syslogging, but a hardware upgrade fixed that.  Default syslog
user.level=local4.debug, see man slapd.

> The hosts have plenty of free RAM and are not using any swap. I have
> disabled the monitor backend but haven't seen much of an improvement
> by doing this, given the monitor database is instantiated at startup
> is this stored in memory? (if not, why not make that an option?)

Yes, monitor is memory-only.

--
Hallvard