Re: Google hits for OpenLDAP

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:35 AM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:
Brett @Google wrote:
Zytrax might fail with regard to accuracy in specific details as it seems to
be infrequently updated (last August 2010, before that July 2009), but taken
asis it gets people going such that they can at least get a server running,
then they can then start to learn by actively using openldap. The zytrax guide
itself is open source, so the other alternative is to help improve it's accuracy ?

Wow, talk about putting the cart before the horse. Last time I checked, the OpenLDAP documentation was also open source. If anyone sincerely wants to improve the docs and make things easier for new users to get off the ground, while getting their edits vetted by people who actually understand how the code works, the obvious (to me anyway) thing to do is to submit updates in the ITS.

I was talking about the NEED for such a document, not talking about who authored / would author it.

My point (perhaps unclear) was that openldap should have such a document, or at least not 'dis those who try..

The Zytrax guys are clearly just out to make a buck, lifting the OpenLDAP Admin Guide content and putting a thin layer of "personal experience" around it. They're not contributing back to the OpenLDAP community; they're not participating in the community at all, and the info they're distributing is (as noted) already outdated.

Such a openldap guide might least serve a purpose, more for newbies as
supposed to the old salts, in that it could reduce chatter regards to getting
a server compiled/running/loaded etc., in the first place, but call me an
optimist.

If you really believe that helping a 3rd party keep their obsolete plagiarism of the OpenLDAP Project's work up to date is a good idea, "optimist" is not the word I'd use for you.

My reference to being an optimist was thinking that the openldap project might by itself create such a guide. Being an open source project i'm sure there is plenty of other work needing to be done, besides creating such a guide.

I am happy enough to have a go at such a guide, but a poet i am not. What is the preferred document format ?

Cheers
Brett