Partial and Fractional Replication Details

I've been playing around with replication trying to prepare a deployment into our enterprise so I've been trying to put syncrepl through it's paces.

As such I've been discovering some behaviors that may be intended but have me scratching my head a little.

Since Openldap is using replication accounts and we have some pretty specific security models it's desirable to have partial and fractional replication restrictions placed on the replication account itself and the syncrepl filter simply use the default 'objectClass=*'.

The "scratching my head" part shows up if I want to try to modify the permissions of the replication account to see more or less of the supplier database. There doesn't seem to be a way to get the replica to just ignore session/accesslogs and perform a comparative sync to match it's data to the view it has of the source. Process intensive I know but would only need to be done when we make those kinds of changes

I then assumed since syncrepl is on the "client" side of things, it might try to re-sync if the syncrepl filter was updated. However that also didn't bring the replication accounts view of thing in sync with it's local database. even starting slapd with -c "rid=##,csn=0" didn't work.

Furthermore when I took permissions away from the replication account so it could no longer see record(s), if that record was still present from it's earlier sync it would receive changes (presumibly from the accesslog delta-syncrepl access) and apply them to the replica. That means that there is no way to really restrict a replication accounts access to sensitive data if it needs read access to cn=accesslog. Does the synclog act in a simmilar manner? (I didn't seem like it but I didn't get all the details yet about how that works).

If the sessionlog and accesslog are not configured then everything falls back to present and delete states which can be a lot of traffic if we have a batch job run that only changes a few attributes. however it looks like that may be the safest way to proceed.

Any other ideas about what to try or to clarify my understanding of this system would be appreciated.

Sorry to be so long winded but I want to make sure that I'm considering all the variables in this project since we may be stuck with it for a while ;)

Thanks Jeffrey