syncrepl + slapd-relay + slapo-rwm some clarification needed

Hello all,

We have a need to populate one of our replicas with mapped attributes long story short, using a ldap proxy to perform the mapping will not be sufficient since the attributes are being used by OpenLDAP itself.

I've found that when setting up a slapd-relay to virtualize the suffix and then use rwm to perform the mapping I get the desired view. However when trying to replicate the content using a replication account things start acting weird I think mostly because syncrepl processes changes via logs and update instructions from the provider to the consumer.

That being the case the syncrepl RefreshAndPersist actually changes the values from the original update instruction. Ergo the replica looking at the virtualized suffix (using relay) actually gets the attribute populated that I wanted mapped. Meaning the replica and the relay view don't agree rather the replica and the original data agree.

I've found that if I use the syncrepl RefreshOnly the replica yields the desired results however that is performed on intervals so the data isn't immediately available. So Have I missed something on the RefreshAndPersist method that would also yield the desired results? Or is RefreshAndPersist always going to see the original change being made even if the underlying relay view shows the mapped attributes?

Ugh the above is so complex to describe Below is an example to facilitate a quick explanation.

### Provider hdb database
dn: cn=record,dc=suffix,dc=org
cn: record
attr1: value1
attr2: value2
attr3: value3

### Provider relay database
dn: cn=record,dc=suffix,dc=org,cn=mapped
cn: record
attr1: value1
attr2: value3 |                 |
attr3: value2 | Values switched |

### replica from cn=mapped using RefreshAndPersist (Undesired)
dn: cn=record,dc=suffix,dc=org
cn: record
attr1: value1
attr2: value2
attr3: value3

### replica from cn=mapped using RefreshOnly (Desired)