OATH HOTP authentication with OpenLDAP

Hi,

For a long time our company has been planning to implement one-time
password authentication as a LDAP SIMPLE auth mechanism. The goal behind
that is to enable unified OTP authentication for a wide range of server
applications that are capable of LDAP SIMPLE auth. The list of most
important applications includes (but is not limited too): a Dovecot IMAP
+ RoundCube tandem; third-party JavaEE applications, like Atlassian
Confluence and JIRA; in-house web-applications; etc. OATH HOTP [1] has
been chosen as the actual OTP mechanism, due to its openness and wide
availability of cheap hardware HOTP-compliant tokens, as well as
software "tokens" for mobile phones. Implementing OTP on a LDAP server
side will not only provide unified OTP auth, but also will allow to
centralize authentication-related information (user database + token
database) and will let us benefit from OpenLDAP out-of-the box features
like replication. Right now we are entering the actual implementation
phase, and I will be very glad to hear general architectural
considerations as well as answers to my questions that already arose.

1. We have chosen to use SLAPI, not overlay API, to make our
authentication plugin portable to other LDAP servers; but still our main
target is OpenLDAP and we're not going to migrate to any other LDAP
server (but our clients might). In terms of SLAPI, this will be a
"preoperation bind plugin". If somebody thinks our choice is awfully
bad, please don't hesitate to share your considerations.

2. Another reason for choosing SLAPI was much clearer API and, most
importantly, availability of simple, synchronous functions for
performing internal operations (searches, modifications). It seemed to
me that overlay API provides only complex, callback-based functions for
internal operations. Please let me know if I've overlooked that in the
documentation (or, better say, source code, since overlay API is
actually undocumented, opposite to SLAPI [2]).

3. Current state of SLAPI support in OpenLDAP completely lacks functions
like slapi_is_root_suffix(), slapi_dn_isroot(), as well as  the whole
slapi_be_* function family. This makes impossible to determine root DN
for authenticating principal. If we decide to actually implement those
functions, what is the preferred way to submit the code to mainstream?
To open an ITS issue and attach a patch to it?

4. For SLAPI plugins, is there a preferred way of obtaining plugin
configuration, other than parsing ARGV? I know that in RedHat Directory
server plugins often use their corresponding cn=plugins,cn=config
entries to store config, but what about OpenLDAP?

5. HOTP algorithm uses SHA1 cryptographic hash. We clearly understand
that if using SLAPI we won't be able to use OpenLDAP SHA1 implementation
available via lutil_sha1.h. In order not to implement SHA1 ourselves, is
it okay to introduce a dependency on OpenSSL/GnuTLS/NSS? For example,
two RedHat plugins from their distribution (namely "http" and
"pwdstorage" [3]) do use NSS and hence include ssl.h.

6. We decided to store token information in its dedicated subtree, like
"ou=Tokens,dc=example,dc=com" (configurable). Each token will have its
own entry that will store its serial number, seed, counter, PIN and its
current owner (a single DN of user that this token has been assigned
to), thus introducing a many-to-one relationship between tokens and
users. Entries with absent "owner" attribute will form a pool of tokens
available for assignment. Token synchronization (computing actual
counter value from two successive passwords) will be implemented as an
extended operation. A preliminary version of schema is available and we
can publish it right now for review. Again, if there are any
considerations and/or critical remarks, don't hesitate to share them.

That's all for the first post; I beg my pardon for a long and verbose
text. We will be very thankful for any feedback on the topic.

Thanks!
Dimitri
CargoSoft LLC, Russia

[1] OATH HOTP: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4226
[2] RedHat Directory Server Plugin Guide:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Plug-in_Guide/index.html
[3]
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=389/ds.git;a=tree;f=ldap/servers/plugins;hb=HEAD