How do you have LDAP Setup for Apps

I'm learning and testing different ways of configure my LDAP to handle multiple apps. I gave up on groupofnames because I couldn't get searches to pull out the Users in a Group. I have probably 6 or so apps that will use the LDAP. I am leaning towards a simple structure, where each app has it's own branch in the LDAP. My reasoning is: it's easy to configure, may make ACL's easier to setup and manage, it will make searches easier to setup and test, and...why not...after all this isn't a database and duplicated "people" records don't matter. We may end up with 2 synching LDAPS, one for our network and email, and the other for our other apps, simply because the email system requires a very specific structure.

Just curious to hear from the more experienced what they do in their structure to handle multiple apps, and how sound my thinking is.