Re: Assigning Groups to LDAP users

On 08/14/2011 03:18 PM, pradyumna dash wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much.  I have never worked a lot on nss_ldap so asking some
basic questions.

As per you said you guys are running the same in your env.

ldap:
personals user groups:
ou=groups,o=company
first project groups:
cn=group1,ou=project1,o=__company
cn=group2,ou=project1,o=__company

-- Do i need to create separate OU's for different groups?

Up to you.

You need some "separator" between projects. It can be branch in the tree, or scope "base" in filter configuration from nss_ldap.conf file.

We are prefer branches. It's more readable, when you have many groups and many projects.

second project groups:
cn=group1,ou=project2,o=__company
cn=group2,ou=project2,o=__company
-- How i can specify the users who are a part of which group?

cn=group1,ou=project1,o=company
objectClass: posixGroup
cn: group1
gidNumber: 1000
memberUid: user1
memberUid: user2
memberUid: user3

"Server1" nss_ldap.conf:
nss_base_group          ou=groups,o=company?sub
nss_base_group          ou=project1,o=company?one
--The syntax in the conf file will be like above ?? Because i have never
used ?sub and ?one

It's URI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_scheme) syntax.
You should to write second part of URI (after connection description) with base, scope and filter.

"Server2" nss_ldap.conf:
nss_base_group          ou=groups,o=company?sub
nss_base_group          ou=project2,o=company?one

Also if you can help, am trying "pwdReset" for my ldap users, in the
ppolicy.schema file i have uncommented this attribute but not able to
load the schema, if you can give me some pointers would be appreciated.
  What i want is when firsttime any user logs in he will asked to change
his password.

1. try to start slapd with "-d config"
2. take a look to http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch6/ppolicy.html

WBR

Regards,
Neo

I am not a expert in OpenLDAP so please help me.