Re: Customizing organizationalUnit

On 08/03/2011 01:10 PM, Michael StrÃder wrote:
> Editing shipped schema files is considered very bad practice. Don't do that.

I'm fully aware of the overwhelming reasons against modification and
just how bad it is that we've done this. I'm working with legacy
software/data that was written years ago when we were all young and
foolish and I'm just trying to figure out if it's even possible to
replicate OpenLDAP 2.1's behavior (allowing the insanity) with OpenLDAP
2.4.1 :)

> 3. Somewhat hackish: Define a DIT content rule for organizationalUnit and add
> the needed attributes to MAY in this.
>
> 1. and 2. requires you to transform your data.
>
> 3. does not require data changes but some rather naive schema-aware LDAP
> clients might refuse to handle the additional attributes.

The software that consumes this right now (postfix) seems blissfully
ignorant of any schema since it handles our modified organizationalUnits
just fine. If/when we get an opportunity to rewrite the software I'll
definitely take a look at option #1, since that seems the cleanest, but
for now where might I find more details on #3?

Thanks,

Derek