Re: Setup syncrepl on Redhat Fedora

On 11-06-08 2:22 AM, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
Am Tue, 07 Jun 2011 15:15:43 -0400
schrieb Daniel Qian<daniel@up247solution.com>:

On 11-06-07 1:40 PM, Aaron Richton wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Daniel Qian wrote:

Can anyone point out to me how I can add the module required to do
replication on the provider side? I will make a document if I am
able to set it up eventually.
You can find examples of using olcModuleLoad to instruct
back-config to load the module in the OpenLDAP 2.4 Administrator's
Guide. While the directive is not overlay-specific, there is an
example that uses syncprov in section 18.3.3, as well as code
examples in the "tests" directory.

If you're writing a document, it might be good to write back-config
examples suitable for some other section(s) of the Admin Guide
(perhaps, if you don't choose n-way multimaster, you can contribute
whatever you use for your installation)?

I think I know what I need to get done based on the info I gathered
on some Ubuntu websites. I just have no idea how those settings fit
into Redhat layout. Correct me if I am wrong. Basically I need to
load the module with something like this :

dn: cn=module{0},cn=config
objectClass: olcModuleList
cn: module{0}
olcModuleLoad: {0}back_bdb
*olcModuleLoad*: {1}*syncprov*
olcModulePath: /usr/lib64/openldap

and then use the overlay with something like this:

dn: olcOverlay={0}syncprov,*olcDatabase={1}bdb,cn=config*
objectClass: olcOverlayConfig
objectClass: olcConfig
objectClass: top
objectClass: olcSyncProvConfig
olcOverlay: {0}syncprov
olcSpCheckpoint: 100 10
olcSpSessionlog: 100

But the question is in what files/folders I should put these
settings? Fedora has a few database ldif files whose settings get
loaded into openldap upon restart. Can I do the same with these
settings as well?
You shouldn't put this data into any file or directory, just load this
information by means of an ldap operation like add or modify. You may
use an ldif file or any decent LDAP editor.

-Dieter

I was just a little confused when some documents say the entry module{0} should be there as part of the config but I couldn't find it available on Redhat. One more thing I did not know is on Redhat you actually define backends in ldif files but settings like these in ldap config database. I can understand it a little better now. Its like the chicken-and egg issue. You can have the backend defined in a backend db but that requires a backend to be defined first. ldif files are probably the Redhat way to get that "primed"? Correct me on this if I am wrong.

This is the first time I am dealing with cn=config so I am being a little cautious not to mess up anything. The server will eventually go into production and we want to stick to Redhat layout so it will be easy to manage down the road. Things seem to be clearing up now thanks to you and other people who tried to help.

Thanks,
Daniel