Re: Should Berkeley DB backends be reloaded occasionally?

--On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:49 PM -0500 Mark <mah042@gmail.com> wrote:

Back in the days of OpenLDAP 2.1 with Berkeley DB 4.1.25.3 we used to
have to 'reload' out backend database occasionally as non-indexed reads
would get slower and slower over time. The 'reload' entailed:

  â stop slapd
  â slapcat the contents to an .ldif file

  â remove the database files
  â slapadd the .ldif file to create a new, fresh db instance
  â start slapd

Then our performance problems went away. Re-indexing didn't do the trick.

Is such occasional re-building of the backend database recommended in
OpenLDAP 2.4.25 with Berkeley DB 4.8.30?

No. You are having this problem by running ancient releases of OpenLDAP and BDB. BTW, BDB 5.x (5.1 and 5.0) are also fully supported by OpenLDAP 2.4.23 and later.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.