SSL Connect Error message?

I checked through the archives and couldn't find a real mention of this.  When
a failed connection happens over SSL (OpenSSL) the most information I can get
back is what ldap_err2string returns.  The problem is I don't know if it's a
true connection failure or a SSL session error or even a certificate error.
Is there a way to get more useful information out of a failed SSL connection.
I do know about LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_SSL_CTX but can't figure out if that points to
an error message somewhere.
--
Many thanks
Eric