Replicating a translucent proxy

Is it possible to replicate a translucent proxy?

In our project we have a central LDAP repository that is populated with
generic information about our collaboration and its users.  This is
replicated out to various sites in a master -> slave setup via syncrepl.
 At the sites we may need site local information.  We have been
addressing this via a translucent overlay.

However it would be nice to have some redundancy on the translucent overlay.

What is the best way to approach this?

My ldap servers (including the translucent proxy) are on CentOS 5
running OpenLDAP 2.4.18 (built from source).  The master is running on a
Debian system on 2.4.x.
--
Jonathan Hanks
General Computing Sys Admin