Re: Suitability of LDAP as DNS backend - PowerDNS LDAP backend moving to unmaintained status

On 29/4/2011 1:19 ÏÎ, Howard Chu wrote:

IMO, due to the hierarchical nature of the zone data, LDAP is the *most* appropriate data store for DNS data, it beats SQL on many counts. I've spent some time with the BIND code but hadn't even heard of PowerDNS.

Unfortunately, at the moment, while I believe this is interesting and worthwhile, I don't have the time to spend on it. But if anyone else in the community wants to contribute, I'd be open to hosting any relevant work on the OpenLDAP code repos.

For informational purposes, those who want to know PowerDNS and are using BIND8/9, could read this: http://laurent.bachelier.name/2009/03/switching-from-bind-to-powerdns-in-a-few-seconds/

If you want to try PowerDNS with LDAP backend, there is a script bundled in PowerDNS called zone2ldap which works very nice (read: http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/PowerDNS_LDAP_Backend/Migration). Use *simple style* (tree style is practically incompatible with IPv6 and doesn't allow subdomain/subzone delegation) as explained here: http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/PowerDNS_LDAP_Backend/Example.

Migration from standard BIND9 (text files) to PowerDNS LDAP, even for testing, is much faster and easier than one might thought.

I can help with implementation details from my experience for anyone interested, but, unfortunately, I am not a developer to be able to engage in development. So, developers (or funding...) wanted! :-)

Regards,
Nick