Re: Suitability of LDAP as DNS backend - PowerDNS LDAP backend moving to unmaintained status

On 28/4/2011 3:13 ÎÎ, Torsten Schlabach (Tascel eG) wrote:

I never used PowerDNS, we always went with BIND. Fortunately the DLZ parts
made it into the code and the version which has them built in made it into
the standard Linux distros in the meanwhile.

AFAIK there are no plans to drop LDAP backend support from BIND. So maybe
you should just consider to switch there.

I just wanted to add that according many testimonies, like: https://lists.isc.org/mailman/htdig/bind-users/2011-February/082814.html, BIND9 with LDAP over DLZ has a very low performance, making it unsuitable for production systems, which is not the case with PowerDNS.

So, it seems, PowerDNS with LDAP backend is the only truly viable solution in production, and PowerDNS is in risk of dropping maintenance of this backend!

Best regards,
Nick