Re: Installation openLDAP in Debian

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

> There are many possibilities. The most obvious is leaving random whitespace
> at the end of a line, which frequently trips up people who manually edit
> flat text files. I won't go into the other possibilities because frankly,
> it's an internal implementation detail and not worth mentioning. Suffice to
> say, if you're not going to take the word of the programmer who designed and
> implemented all of this that editing by hand is prone to corruption, then we
> have nothing further to discuss.

Howard, I *know* who you are, I am not new to OpenLDAP.  So, please,
take no offense, we are having just a discussion.  Still, I'm yet to
see any of my servers being corrupted by me editing the cn=config
files directly! (well, it is also me... I *know* several admins that
totally screwed config files, but I have been on the UNIX world for
~16 years, so, maybe I'm used to really tight files formatting)  also,
because these are LDIFs, these actually "yell" to be edited by hand!
(you should add an ominous warning to the docs, stating that you
should not edit those files directly, for x, y, or z reason).

Now, someone actually had a point here: is there a way to add
*comments* to cn=config configuration? The fact that I never asked
that question points something out: I'm actually not a big fan of
comments, but there are people who like them a lot.

Howard: really, we are here arguing with you, because we actually like
this work, and believe it can become even better than it is!

Ildefonso.