return an attribute of all users belonging to a group

Dear all,

I have a question regarding my openldap DIT design. My design so far is based on the model: ou=people,dc=example,dc=com. It is very possible that I'll have to be able to find attributes of people belonging to some specific group (eg, student, postgrad, etc). The easiest way to address this issue for me would be to branch my DIT like this:

ou=undergrads,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com and ou=postgrads,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com. On the other hand, I have several classes that I would like to distinguish my users to apart from this (like stuff, student, professors, etc.) but further sub-brunching shows to me that there's something wrong with my design (since those classes may dynamically change in the future).

As a second solution I thought that it would be very easy to make my users in ou=people,dc=example,dc=com belong to some group located in ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com. This way I feel much more flexible in making such classifications, but my problem is how to formulate ldapsearch filters so as to return an attribute of some user only if the specific user belongs to one or more of my groups (for example to find all email accounts from my people that belong to the undergrads group).

Thank you all for your time in advance,

kind regards,

George Mamalakis.

PS. In the case that this is not the right place to ask questions regarding ldap programming, please address me to some related resource. The truth is that I haven't found such a place by googling, meaning that the places I've found did not seem to be maintained well.

--
George Mamalakis

IT Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379