Re: Local home directory with ADS LDAP authentication

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 14:35 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> Can you give me some details of this ?

nss-pam-ldapd is an alternative to nss_ldap and pam_ldap provided by
PADL. Some distributions have packages for it but you should also be
able to install from source. The NSS and PAM modules can be built
separately.

The nss-pam-ldapd homepage contains some documentation and downloads:
http://arthurdejong.org/nss-pam-ldapd/

> I do not want to mess up a working authentication mechanism if I can
> avoid it.

Authentication is provided by the PAM module but also requires the NSS
module to be functional. The NSS module provides home directory, shell,
etc. Configuration of nss_ldap and pam_ldap varies per distribution
(/etc/ldap.conf, /etc/nss_ldap.conf,...). For nss-pam-ldapd a single
file /etc/nslcd.conf provides the configuration for both modules.

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - http://arthurdejong.org --