Data aggregator

Hello all,

This post may be a little OT, but i'm sure this subject has bitten some of you some time. So, i'm willing to take the chance.
Anyway, feel free to redirect me and this conversation elsewhere.

Background:

There's an LDAP infrastructure set up, which has been fed and maintained by a "in the house" made management system.

This management system primary role is NOT to manage LDAP data, but it was where the data lived, some extensions where developed to provide that extra functionality. Years have passed and more and more we depend on our LDAP service. But we also have more and more the need to add other data to LDAP, which doesn't exist in the still in place management system. Changing the LDAP data model has also become a major headache since that type of change will also force maintenance to the management system accordingly.

Objective:

I'm currently delegated to find a modular solution that can aggregate data from several sources, relational databases, other ldap servers, flat text files, whatever, and be able to maintain a centrally managed information database which can then be exported to/served by an LDAP server. The solution could aggregate data directly into an LDAP database, or it could maintain it's own database that could be later exported to ldif, or sync to LDAP.

The main purpose here would also to be able to find something that would do this, or that could be set with some minimal changes to perform as described, WITHOUT being an "in the house" solution.

Sorry if it felt like i'm daydreaming, but i would love to hear peoples thoughts on this matter.

Best regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro@fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307
Web      : http://hmonteiro.net

Divisão de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.fct.unl.pt                apoio@fct.unl.pt

fct.unl.pt:~# _