Speeding up BDB question

I have a situation where I need to delete a major branch of my DIT and
reload it with a new ldif file on live systems.  My current
configuration is a two node multi-master running on Red Hat Enterprise
5.4 with openldap 2.22 and BDB 4.8.26.

With both masters running, when I delete the branch it takes about 1.5
hours and the reload (ldapadd) takes about 6-7 hours.  I've researched
the documentation on Berkeley but didn't make any headway to reduce the
time.  It appeared to me that BDB was doing syncs (lots and lots of disk
writes).  To test this, I moved the database directory of both masters
to a ram drive (mount ramfs) that could hold the whole database
directory with room to spare and changed the configuration to use the
new location.

I reran the tests and the results were that the delete took 6 minutes
and the load took about 13 minutes.  This is definitely a lot faster and
the other master kept up with the updating master.

So my question is there anyway to configure Berkeley to come close to
this?  Is there someway to disable the syncs?

Portion of
slapd.conf:====================================================
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=htc,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,dc=htc,dc=com"
rootpw                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxx
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
#directory      /var/local/var.ram/openldap-data
cachesize 50000
dncachesize 50000
idlcachesize 150000
checkpoint 1024 5
dbnosync
dirtyread
dbconfig set_cachesize 0 268435456 1
dbconfig set_lg_bsize 2097152
dbconfig set_lg_regionmax 262144
dbconfig set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
monitoring on

DB_CONFIG:=====================================
set_cachesize 0 268435456 1
set_lg_bsize 2097152
set_lg_regionmax 262144
set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
set_flags DB_TXN_WRITE_NOSYNC
set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC

Mike Cannady
Information Services
Horry Telephone Cooperative (HTC)
Phone: (843)369-8212
Fax..: (843)369-7195
Pager: (843)828-5899
Email: Mike.Cannady@htcinc.net

HTC Disclaimer:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.