issue with slapadd

Hello,

I'm using openldap-server 2.4.19-15 in a Red Hat 6 box (x86_64), rpm installation. This is the very first time I use ldap and I'm having some issues with the configuration. I read that the slapd.conf file should not be use, instead the slapd.d directory is the new system that is meant to be.

As I don't know how this exactly works, I've been reading and folowing the tutorial in the openldap page. Specifically I read the Administration guide and I copy and adapt the config.ldif file to suit my needs.
After a while I manage to run the command:
slapadd -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d -n 0 -l config.ldif
with no problems. I thought that once this was done the slapd should start smoothly, but instead I'm having an slaptest error saying that my configuration FILE is wrong. As the slapd.conf doesn't exists, I don't know where this error comes from. I tried
#slaptest -v -d1 -F ../slapd.d/
[......]
ldif_back_add: "olcDatabase={-1}frontend,cn=config"
oc_check_required entry (olcDatabase={-1}frontend,cn=config), objectClass "olcDatabaseConfig" oc_check_required entry (olcDatabase={-1}frontend,cn=config), objectClass "olcFrontendConfig"
oc_check_allowed type "objectClass"
oc_check_allowed type "olcDatabase"
oc_check_allowed type "olcAddContentAcl"
oc_check_allowed type "olcLastMod"
oc_check_allowed type "olcMaxDerefDepth"
oc_check_allowed type "olcReadOnly"
oc_check_allowed type "olcMonitoring"
oc_check_allowed type "structuralObjectClass"
oc_check_allowed type "entryUUID"
oc_check_allowed type "creatorsName"
oc_check_allowed type "createTimestamp"
oc_check_allowed type "entryCSN"
oc_check_allowed type "modifiersName"
oc_check_allowed type "modifyTimestamp"
ldif_back_add: err: 68 text:
send_ldap_result: conn=-1 op=0 p=0
slaptest: bad configuration directory!

Since the directory structure was built by the slapadd command, where is the problem?
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't find it ;(
Permissions are ok (at the beginning I had issues with the include core.ldif part of my config.ldif, I ended pasting the contents in the config.ldif)

Thanks in advance for your help, hope you can shed some light on this.

Judith Flo Gaya
Systems Administrator IMPPC
e-mail: jflo@imppc.org
Tel (+34) 93 554-3079
Fax (+34) 93 465-1472

Institut de Medicina Predictiva i Personalitzada del Càncer
Crta Can Ruti, Camí de les Escoles s/n
08916 Badalona, Barcelona,
Spain
http://www.imppc.org