Re: DB_CONFIG - Auto remove logs

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:22 +0200, "Buchan Milne"
<bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 February 2011 23:48:02 ldap@mm.st wrote:
> > This may have been discussed, but i can not seem to find out why the
> > transaction logs are not getting removed when I use DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE in
> > DB_CONFIG.  This is on a Redhat 5 openldap 2.3 server.
> >
> > DB_CONFIG has the following:
> > set_lg_dir /var/lib/ldap/bdblogs
> > set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
> >
> > Doing slapd_db_archive shows about 134 unused files.
> >
> > I then did the following (is this the correct procedure to use when
> >
> > updating DB_CONFIG?):
> > > serivice ldap stop
> > > Edited  DB_CONFIG
> > > slapd_db_recover
>
> If your working directory is not the database directory, you need to
> supply -h
> /var/lib/ldap or similar to all db_* tools (including the slapd_db_*
> versions).
>
> > > slapd_db_archive
> > > service ldap start
>
> Some other packages provide a 'service ldap recover' or 'service ldap2.4
> recover' which does all of this for you ...
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

Maybe I just don't understand how this log removal is suppose to
function.  I'm confused by the comments above since all the db tools
seem to find the logs fine.  Giving the -h option seems to have no
effect. It seems that since the "set_lg_dir /var/lib/ldap/bdblogs" is in
DB_CONFIG the slapd_db_archive command fines the logs just fine.

For a test I moved all the logs (135) up one directory to the location
of the db and the DB_CONFIG file, stopped slapd, recovered the db,
restarted slapd.  At this point 135 log.xxx files are in the directory,
I ran slapd_db_archive and it shows 134 of the files are not being used.
 I would have thought that with the  set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE set in
DB_CONFIG it would remove the log.xxx files that slapd_db_archive says
is not needed.  Is this how it works? Or do they eventually get removed
based on some other criteria?