Re: slapindex Required or Not

Am Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:49:04 -0700
schrieb ldap@mm.st:

> I am in the process of rebuilding our ldap servers that are many years
> old to run on RH5.   I basically took the existing slapd.conf file
> from the old server and am using it on the new server (minor
> changes).   I did a slapcat on the old server,  modified the schema a
> little and did a slapadd on the new.  Systems seem to be able to
> authenticate against the new test server and things seem to function
> corretly.  For now, the db backend is  ldbm.  It has the following
> index statements:
>
> index   objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber,memberUid   eq
> index   cn,mail,surname,givenname                       eq,subinitial
>
> I'm unclear of when and if it is required to run slapindex on the new
> server.  Is this something that should be done after slapadd and
> should it be done on a regular basis?  I assume you should stop slapd
> when this is run.

As you did a slapadd and slapadd read index statements from slapd.conf
there is no need to slapindex the database. But the ldbm backend
worries me, as it is deprecated for ages already, that means you are
still running an outdated openldap version.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://dkluenter.de