From: openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org <openldap-technical-bounces@OpenLDAP.org>
To: jekvb@gmx.co.uk <jekvb@gmx.co.uk>
Cc: openldap-technical@openldap.org <openldap-technical@openldap.org>
Sent: Wed Jan 26 14:40:59 2011
Subject: Re: Failover Failure Advice

I currently have a Master/Slave Failover setup and I'm planning to deploy 100 ldap clients soon.  I'm thinking about installing a Slave LDAP Server in all my ldap clients.    I'm sure this will bog down the network but can I program syncrepl to be less chatty between master and slave?  I'm planning to point 60 of my clients to the master while the rest will point to the slave.  Your thoughts?

Kindest regards,
Anton

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:22 PM, jekvb <jekvb@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 14:43 -0800, Anton Chu wrote:

> I've setup a master and slave ldap service for failover;

My failover construction is a bit different, but it works quite nicely,
so I 'd like to share this.
For a simple and reliable failover I have two LDAP servers in Mirror
mode with Keepalived on top of it. This is based on having one virtual
IP for both machines. When the one LDAP server (master) that has the IP,
fails, all read & write operations are directed to the backup server.
When the failed LDAP server comes up again it takes over the IP again
and SyncRepl on the slave takes care of updating the master.

Best regards, Kuba

This message is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system.