error while loading shared libraries

Here is a question from a newbie.

I use red hat 5.5.
I didn't want to use the openldap that is bundled with and installed by red
hat, so I downloaded and installed BerkeleyDB-4.8.30 and openldap-2.4.23.

configure, make as a non-root
make install as a root user.

I specified --prefix=/usr/local in both cases.

For openldap, I had to export CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and LD_LIBRARY_PATH as
follows:

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="-I/usr/local/lib"

I created a slapd file and put it in /etc/init.d, chmod and chkconfig
successfully.

In .bashrc file, I put /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/lib in the path. I
also added this line:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

I was able to run slappasswd and set/create a password for root.

But that was the end of my successes :(

As a root user, when I type "service slapd start", I get this error:

//----
Starting slapd
/usr/local/libexec/slapd: error while loading shared libraries:
libdb-4.8.so cannot open shared object file no such file or dir.
//-----

Is it because my BerkeleyDB installation isn't working properly? (I don't
recall any errors while installing BDB though) or something more is amiss?

I can see that the file libdb-4.8.so is in /usr/local/lib

How do I solve this problem?

Thank you all for taking time to read.

Cheers,

Get the new Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Yahoo! JAPAN
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/ie8/