Re: Problems importing ppolicy LDIF: LDAP_INVALID_SYNTAX

13.01.2011 13:39, Howard Chu writes:
> Konstantin Boyandin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> OpenLDAP version: 2.3.43-12 (CentOS 5.5), 64-bit.
>>
>> In order to enable ppolicy overlay, I am trying to create the relevant
>> entries, as specified in
>>
>> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/overlays.html#Password%20Policies
>>
>> I import two LDIFs, first:
>>
>> dn: ou=Policies,dc=example,dc=com
>> objectClass: organizationalUnit
>> objectClass: top
>> ou: Policies
>>
>> and second
>>
>> dn: cn=default,ou=Policies,dc=example,dc=com
>> cn: default
>> objectClass: top
>> objectClass: pwdPolicy
>> objectClass: person
>> pwdAllowUserChange: TRUE
>> pwdAttribute: userPassword
>> pwdCheckQuality: 2
>> pwdExpireWarning: 600
>> pwdFailureCountInterval: 30
>> pwdGraceAuthNLimit: 2
>> pwdInHistory: 5
>> pwdLockout: TRUE
>> pwdLockoutDuration: 0
>> pwdMaxAge: 7776000
>> pwdMaxFailure: 5
>> pwdMinAge: 0
>> pwdMinLength: 5
>> pwdMustChange: FALSE
>> pwdSafeModify: FALSE
>> sn: dummy value
>>
>> The first loads OK.
>> When I try to import the second, I receive this diagnostics:
>>
>> Could not add object cn=default,ou=Policies,dc=itelsib,dc=com
>> Message: Invalid syntax
>> Error code: 0x15 (LDAP_INVALID_SYNTAX)
>> Error description: An invalid attribute value was specified.
>>
>> Could someone suggest what's wrong with the attribute name?
>
> OpenLDAP never produces the text you provided above. It seems you're
> using some other LDAP tool to do this import, and it is not showing you
> the actual error message sent from the server. OpenLDAP slapd will
> always identify the actual attribute and value that causes an error. I
> suggest you try importing this entry with OpenLDAP's ldapadd and examine
> the error message from there.

I tried importing with slapadd. The output:

str2entry: invalid value for attributeType pwdAttribute #0 (syntax
1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.38)
slapadd: could not parse entry (line=22)

The error above refers to the allowed value of pwdAttribute, which can
only be userPassword now.

The problem is the value for this attribute in LDIF *is* userPassword,
as in the cited sample. I checked the LDIF - no 'invisible' characters
around the value.

JFYI, I checked the values for the attributes using man page. This, and
other references provided with packages is where I look first prior to
asking on the Net.