Re: Substrings in attributes - changing schemas

--On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:28 PM +0200 Nick Milas <nick@eurobjects.com> wrote:

Any suggestions, anyone?

Let me rephrase the questions (hoping to help in replying):

   1. In (very) short: Is there any way we can search substrings of
      values in attributes not having a SUBSTR matching rule defined,
      without modifying the schema(s)?

No.

   2. If I expand the definition of an attribute - by adding a SUBSTR
      matching rule - in a widely distributed schema in cosine.schema,
      is there any serious risk which I should consider?

Yes. The proper thing to do would be to start an updated RFC to get the old definitions updated, or to create your own attribute that has improved matching rules. A lot of the old RFCs were created at a time when their current uses weren't imagined, or a need for doing things differently than what they were designed to do wasn't thought of.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.