Re: viewing cn=config

E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
Hi, sorry that it took me a while to reply.

So I do have the config backend, since debian moved me over automatically.
So far the slapcat method has been working very nicely for me.

Another question I ran into is how do you edit cn=config, by default I have
not been able to figure out.
I have so far seen two methods that work for me but they both feel a bit
'hacky' so I was wondering if there is another 'official' method.

The two things I have done:
1. edit the files in slapd.d (after stopping the openldap server to be on the
safe side).

Never do that.

2. using ldapmodify, but this was only possible after I added a olcRootPW
attribute to the olcDatabase object of the config backend by editing the file
as described here:
http://www.zarafa.com/wiki/index.php/OpenLdap:_Switch_to_dynamic_config_backend_%28cn%3Dconfig%29#Add_or_Change_password_of_RootDN

It confused me at first since the configdb entry has the following acl:
olcAccess: {0}to * by
dn.exact=gidNumber=0+uidNumber=0,cn=peercred,cn=external,cn=auth manage by * break
I didn't understand how I could get access, it looked like I had to be root
but even as root ldapmodify would refuse duty.

I guess after seeing these mails I should have been using something like -Y
EXTERNAL?

Yes, from your description, you should have used "ldapmodify -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:///" while running as root.

--
  -- Howard Chu