Oddities with searching for a specific value of an attribute

Sorry for this weird topic, but I didn't know how to name this one.

These are the facts: we're using the phamm.schema from the PHAMM Project for saving virtual domain entries in our Ldap database. Searching for them is mostly no pronblem, but one specific circumstance is bothering me to death: when I try to search for a specific value of the attribute "vd", the corresponding entry is not always found. Any other attribute does the trick, but vd does'nt.

For example: the search for (using the root_dn)

ldapsearch -x -W -D "cn=admin,dc=uebergebuehr,dc=de" -b "ou=domains,dc=uebergebuehr,dc=de" "(vd=*) -s"one"

produces following output:
---------output-------------
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <vd=lak-hessen.de,ou=domains,dc=uebergebuehr,dc=de> with scope baseObject
# filter: (vd=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# lak-hessen.de, domains, uebergebuehr.de
dn: vd=lak-hessen.de,ou=domains,dc=uebergebuehr,dc=de
vd: lak-hessen.de
lastChange: 1291723263
maxMail: 100
maxAlias: 100
maxQuota: 100
accountActive: TRUE
editAV: TRUE
delete: FALSE
postfixTransport: dovecot
objectClass: top
objectClass: VirtualDomain

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

This is true for everytime I put a Wildcard (*) into the search pattern, and with scope "sub" there's also no matter in which part of the tree above this entry I am. But when I'm searching specificly for the value (lak-hessen.de) nothin is found, no matter in which entry I am and which scope use.

Strangely this pattern _is_ found when you go into the entry of the domain itself (vd=lak-hessen.de,ou=domains,...) and search with scobe 'base'.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or is this a bug? I think ACLs are ruled out because of using the root_dn.

I didn't want to file a Bug before being reallly sure that this is one

regards

Sebastian