Re: Passwords in DIT after MOD from Solaris Client

On Monday, 22 November 2010 10:24:59 Ben Rockwood wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm using pam_ldap on a Solaris 10 client and an OpenLDAP server.
> Everything works great, with one little exception.
>
>  I can create new accounts from an LDIF specifying the password as
> {SSHA} and everything works fine.  Users can login, etc.  However, if a
> user changes their password from Solaris ('passwd -r ldap') the password
> is now stored in the directory as plaintext.  The user can still login,
> change their password, etc, it works fine... but I don't want plaintext
> passwords in the directory.
>
>  I tried adding "password-hash   {SSHA}" to slapd.conf, but that didn't
> do anything... nor would I expect it to because its the default setting.

This affects:
-the default hash used by slappasswd
-the hash used by clients when they perform a PASSMOD operation.

>  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

For a normal modify, nothing is done by default. However you can (ab)use the
ppolicy overlay, and the 'ppolicy_hash_cleartext' option, which will result in
the 'password-hash' being applied to cleartext values of userPassword on
modifies.

Regards,
Buchan