Trying to understand an error message

Hello all,

I have written an application which uses OpenLDAP and I keep receiving
this error message:
"sasl.c:75: ldap_sasl_bind: Assertion `( (ld)->ld_options.ldo_valid ==
0x2 )' failed."

The code at this position says the following:
"assert( LDAP_VALID( ld ) );"

My application creates LDAP structures (using ldap_init) and re-uses
these structures whenever possible so that the least number of LDAP
binds have to done. Is there anything I need to do after an LDAP
operation has finished or maybe do I have to unbind at some point to
make sure the LDAP structure remains in a valid state? I would be
happy to receive any insight into this.

Regards,
Khaled