Re: reordering email aliases ?

On 11/08/2010 03:31 PM, Dan White wrote:
On 08/11/10 09:26 +0100, Frank Bonnet wrote:
Hello

I'm facing a cosmetic problem with email aliases.

Some users has aliases for their email adresses some has not.

For example a professor named Jean Dupont has two valid email adresses :

dupontj@domain.tld         ( which is  unixlogin@domain.tld )
j.dupont@domain.tld ( which is the alias that point to duponj@domain.tld )

Students have only one email adress of the form : unixlogin@domain.tld

In many applications we use LDAP to fetch the user's email address and other data.

The problem is sometime we get unixlogin@domain.tld and sometime we get emailalias@domain.tld

Are you having a problem with your SMTP server not delivering to the
correct mailbox?

No this works well

Or are you retrieving the attribute to display is some
application?

Yes this is my problem

I would like to do the following :

if a user has an alias of the form emailalias@domain.tld then display it first

Is it possible to reorder my LDAP database to do so ?

I am not aware of a way to order attributes or values.

An alternative approach that I've used, where I may have multiple mailDrop
attributes for an alias (or may not have any aliases at all for a given
mailbox) but want to return one consistent primary entry to our spam
filtering device, is to populate another, unique, attribute solely for the purpose of returning a consistent value to that particular application, and
is unused by our SMTP server.