Re: quick-start guide out-of-date

On Tuesday, 19 October 2010 16:17:18 Anders Geffen wrote:
> I'm just getting started with OpenLDAP and I've just hit my first roadblock
> - the quickstart guide
> (http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/quickstart.html) refers to a
> slapd.conf file which is nowhere to be found on my system.

The fact that you don't have one on your system doesn't mean it isn't provided
by the project:
http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/servers/slapd/slapd.conf?hideattic=1&sortbydate=0

(and, note, it is installed by default, see the 'install-conf' rule in
http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/servers/slapd/Makefile.in?rev=1.197&hideattic=1&sortbydate=0)

> A bit of
> research revealed that slapd.conf has been deprecated.

slapd.conf(5) has one occurrence of the word 'deprecated', in relation to
'authz-policy any'. slapd-config(5) doesn't make any such statement.

I haven't seen any official communication about deprecation (even though
Quanah has made statements on this list).

> Is there a
> quick-start guide anywhere that is up-to-date with this change?

Assuming you didn't install from source, consult whoever provided you with
OpenLDAP without a slapd.conf.

Regards,
Buchan