Re: Recommended approach for LDAP as backend for virtual domain mail?hosting?

On Tuesday 05 October 2010 05:57:16 Dan White wrote:
> Postfix, as you probably already know, has LDAP support for looking
> up most tables, which is how I implement virtual domain lookups.

I've asked this in another message as well but how would an LDAP query
for Postfix's virtual_mailbox_domains look like, typically? Would the
DIT need an additional ou, such as ou=VirtualDomains,dc=example,dc=com?
I can't seem to get my head around that.

> >So I guess my question is really more about how to properly design a
> >DIT that holds multiple independent domains and for each domain
> >possibly hundreds of users and groups.
>
> I went with a flat design, which has worked well. That is:
>
> uid=jsmith@example.net,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
> uid=jsmith@custdom.com,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
>
> and
>
> cn=jsmith@example.net,ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com
> cn=jsmith@custdom.com,ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com

So example.com is the suffix for the whole of the hosting database and
the uids and cns are fully qualified e-mail addresses? Sounds practical
enough. I'll be experimenting with that starting next week.

Thanks again!

Andreas