acl issue

I am working on implementing open ldap and I am having an issue with my acls.  At this point I want users to be able to authenticate and I want them to be able to search through the directory, but only return the attributes that I specify, and restrict attributes that I want restricted.  slapacl returns what I would expect, but an ldapsearch as a user is returning no data at all.

This is all I have for acls at this point.

access to attrs=userPassword
        by self  write
        by anonymous    auth
        by * none

access to attrs=entry
        by users read

access to attrs=mail,cn,l,telephoneNumber
        by users read

access to attrs=mailhost
        by users none
        by anonymous none