syncrepl only working in one direction

All,

I have two identical servers (RHEL based VMs, server1 and server3) running 2.4.23 openldap.

built with these options:

--with-tls --prefix=/etc/operator/openldap --enable-syncprov --enable-syslog --enable-crypt -

I have the strangest problem, and am desperate for any insight you might provide

If I make a change on server3, then everything is fine, and the change is replicated to server1
If I make a change on server1 then server1 changes, but no changes are seen on server 3.

looking at the logs, on server1,
Using tcpdump to sniff the connection, when a change is made on server1, it doesn't even attempt to contact server3.

As far as I can tell the configs are identical, and I have no clue whats causing this.  Any hint at all would be gratefully accepted.
Configs from both machines attached. server1 and server3(output of ldapsearch on cn=config)
Also attached, logs (olcLogLevel is Sync) of the results when I change a value (olcLogLevel) on the two servers (change-on-server1 and change-on-server3)

Alister

Alister Forbes      TACSUNS             _.|._.|._ Cisco Systems

Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See -