Re: How to slapadd cn=config

At Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:35:32 +0000 "Torsten Schlabach (Tascel eG)" <tschlabach@tascel.net> wrote:

> Dear list!
>
> If I have an LDIF backup of a cn=config database, taken with slapcat, how
> would I use it to bootstrap a new server, for example, in a desaster
> recovery setting?
>
> I tried it and slapadd required a configuration, but cn=config *is* the
> configuration and I am trying to restore it. So this is a bit of a chicken
> and egg problem, isn't it?
>
> Is there an "official" way of doing that?

Slapd, etc. needs an /etc/openldap/slapd.conf file, which contains some
root-level (eg bootstrap) configuration.  You need to copy this file
from the original server to the replacement server, and possibly edit it
slightly (depending on how much of a 'clone' you are making, eg stuff
like server IP numbers, hostnames, etc.).

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration