Re: syncrepl: contextCSN less than entryCSN

On 14/09/2010 12:30, Ioan Indreias wrote:
Hello,

We are running openldap 2.4.21 configured as a consumer, using a
refreshAndPersist replication:

syncrepl rid=202
          provider=ldaps://ldap.hashed.net
          type=refreshAndPersist
          interval=00:00:05:00
          retry="10 3 60 +"
          searchbase="ou=emailservice,o=hashed"
          filter="(objectClass=*)"
          scope=sub
          attrs="*"
          schemachecking=off
          bindmethod=simple
          binddn="cn=ldap-hashed-service,o=hashed"
          credentials=xx-xx-xx
          tls_reqcert=never

In order to check if the replication works OK we compare
(periodically) the provider's contextCSN versus the consumer's
contextCSN

Most of the time both are in sync but from time to time we see that
these parameters are different (provider contextCSN>  consumer
contextCSN) and we thought that the consumer was not "in sync" with
the provider.

Continuing our investigations we found that in the consumer there are
objects with entryCSN greater than the consumer contextCSN.

Is this a normal situation or a bug?

What method do you use to consult the contextCSN?

As stated in slapo-syncrepl(5), "the contextCSN is only updated in memory". So if you're using slapcat to check the value, this is pretty normal. See the slapo-checkpoint option to control the frequency it is written to disk.

If you're checking via LDAP, then this is a whole different matter...

Jonathan Clarke - jonathan@phillipoux.net
Ldap Synchronization Connector (LSC) - http://lsc-project.org