Re: Authenticate to ldap using Kerberos

Dear list,

First of all thank you for all the comments on this problem.

It seems currently the ldap implementation of evolution is blamed, which
is something I can not agree with.

At this moment, I can connect to my ldap server from Evolution,
authenticated. I have to enter a username and a password in my evo
settings, which one way or another is communicated to openldap, which
then checks this un/pw combo and considers it valid to give the
information.

So from my pov, the combination evo/openldap is working, and they are
communicating well. So in that respect evo is not the problem here, as
it supports at least one protocol to communicate authentication credits
to openldap.

Now basically the problem is that ldap is using the wrong authentication
type. Wrong as in not the one that I want it to use. It is using it's
own, internal authentication - this I want to change to an external
system. It seems I need something like you guys call 'pass-through
authentication'. And what I learnt over the last year or so when I
looked more into this and related matter, Linux provides sasl and pam as
general authentication libs, designed exactly for this purpose. Sasl and
pam even can talk to each other.

It seems openldap supports sasl for this purpose, great.
Today I don't have time but over the weekend or next week I'm simply
going to dig into it again and see what happens. I have the idea I'm
close to getting it to work, just some small bits and pieces.

And then the next step is going to be tls, which for some reason also
refuses to work for me :(

Wouter.