Re: OID für caseExactIA5SubstringsMatch?

Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
> Use of IA5 in X.500/LDAP directory services should be avoided.  In general,
> one should use DirectoryString.

I somewhat disagree. I think one should use the string type which matches the
particular requirement - not more.

> Any schema which is to be standardized
> should be appropriately internationalized in accordance with 'Best Current
> Practices', such as those governing standardization within the IETF.

Appropriately internationalized can also mean that a Unicode encoding is used
when storing the values in LDAP which fits into IA5String (e.g. DNS names
encoded as IDNA or punycode).

That does not mean that every schema using IA5String is well-designed though...

Ciao, Michael.