Hmm. No one seems to be able to answer my question about SSL connections

So I will try once more.

I have successfully setup an openldap server using TLS.

I generated self sign certs using http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/185.html

I have succussfully setup a client computer on a different computer than the server.

I copied the cacert.pem to my client computer

I can successfully run ldapsearch with the -ZZ option on the client PC.

Now I want to write a client program in C that I can put on any PC, that will automatically download cacert.pem from the openldap server, and prompt a user to accept or reject the cacert.pem.  If they accept it, I want to store the cert in the /etc/ssl/certs directory.  If they do not accept the cert, I want to stop the connection.  How do I accomplish this?  I don't see any openldap functions that help me do this.