Re: how to add a new database with slapd.d?

Jonathan Clarke wrote:
On 26/07/2010 15:23, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Thanks.

Perhaps I missed some document, but what you said is not mentioned in
the document I referred to. I think it make a lot of sense to add new
database via LDAP, but a newbie would not be able to assume this can be
done, especially puzzled by not knowing what crediential should I use to
access db cn=config, because olcRootPW is not existing in any of the
ldif files except the one I just added:

# grep -R olcRootPW /etc/ldap/slapd.d/
\/etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config/olcDatabase=bdb:olcRootPW: secret
/etc/ldap/slapd.d/cn=config/olcDatabase={1}hdb:olcRootPW: secret

No, I recall that Ubuntu sets up some other form of authentication tied
into the OS... I've never really got it though, so I can't help here.
Maybe others on the list understand how this works by default on Ubuntu?

It depends on which version of Ubuntu you're using.

In 9.10 they configure an admin password when you install/configure the package.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html

In 10.04 they use Unix root privileges with ldapi://

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html

For future reference, distro-specific questions should be directed to your distro provider. Clearly we cannot provide generic answers for these questions.

--
  -- Howard Chu