2.4.22 mirrormode syncrepl credential password encryption

Hi,

I have version 2.4.22 running with mirrormode enabled and it is working well.

I have a question regarding the credentials field in the syncrepl part in slapd.conf.

Must this be cleartext or can it be encrypted and what is considered good practise
regarding which binddn to use.  (e.g. should I create a user with cleartext password
specifically for replication?)

Up to now I have used the same binddn as my rootdn but I can only get this to work
with a cleartext password and I don't want to have my rootpw as cleartext in slapd.conf.

Here is my current slapd.conf snippet

database        bdb
suffix          "dc=example,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com"
moduleload      syncprov

overlay syncprov
syncprov-checkpoint 1 1
syncprov-sessionlog 100

# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw          secret
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd and slap tools.
# Mode 700 recommended.
directory       /var/lib/ldap
# Indices to maintain
index   objectClass     eq