limits based on the base being searched (rather than doing the searching)

I have been requested to open up a specific branch of our DIT to allow
more than the default number of entries to be returned for searches by
anyone that get results from that branch.

My reading of the slapd.conf manual page indicates the requested limits
adjustment is not possible in the currently available OpenLDAP software
(I am running 2.4.22).

Have I missed something in my reading?

Thanks,