Re: smbk5pwd: ldappassword hangs

--On Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:39 PM +0200 Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme@gmail.com> wrote:

Op 16-06-10 21:40, Frank Van Damme schreef:

I did so.

I had some rough times trying to get through the compilation process (of
version 2.4.21), because test 44 kept failing - then I disabled the
dynlist overlay which tests the dynlist and compilation succeeded fine.
The server works, too.

But the original problem has not gone away. As soon as I try
ldappasswd-ing with the smb5kpwd overlay enabled, the process hangs (at
least, if authentication of the user I test this with, succeeds). The
module is off course compiled from the contrib tree of 2.4.21.

OK, I finally figured it out. It was a configuration issue after all -
you need to put the "overlay" directive behind the "database" directive.
Otherwise the server wil start fine (without crash, errors or complaint
about syntax), but refuse to actually execute the password change
operation.

As noted in the man pages?

GENERAL DATABASE OPTIONS

      overlay <overlay-name>
	      Add  the	specified  overlay  to	this database. An overlay is a
	      piece of code that intercepts database operations  in  order  to
	      extend or change them. Overlays are pushed onto a stack over the
	      database, and so they will execute in the reverse of  the  order
	      in  which  they  were  configured  and  the database itself will
	      receive control last of all. See	the  slapd.overlays(5)	manual
	      page  for  an overview of the available overlays.  Note that all
	      of the database's regular settings should be  configured	before
	      any overlay settings.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc