From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com>
To: Chris Jacobs; 'nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au' <nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au>; 'openldap-technical@openldap.org' <openldap-technical@openldap.org>
Sent: Tue Jun 22 19:23:01 2010
Subject: Re: Copying trees from one consumer to another

--On Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:05 AM -0700 Chris Jacobs
<Chris.Jacobs@apollogrp.edu> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> I've done this a number of times - Dev on an 'in production' ldap
> infrastructure.  I've managed to get the boxes out of sync a number of
> times.
>
> 1. Stop slapd.
> 2. Delete the contents of the db dir
> 3. Copy a db-config into it.
> 4. Startup slapd.
>
> The full tree is replicated pretty quickly.  Try it out, you'll see.  It
> take less then half a minute to replicate a tree with approx 800 entries
> (very rough estimate) even on slaves in AZ and masters in WA.
I'm sure it does work fine for such a tiny database.  Get a large database
(20 million, 200 million etc), it's not worth the time to do it that way.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc

This message is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system.