Re: Additional <filter> in referrals (Was: Help with a referral)

On Jun 6, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
>> One could surmise that a client which well supports chasing would
>> basically have the same interaction with the DIT whether the server(s)
>> chained or not and hence could fairly well derive the semantics from RFC
>> 3296.   (Of course, the set of clients which well supports chasing is near
>> empty, one likely needs to consider a theoretical client not an actual
>> client here. :-)
>
> What should a client do for well supporting referral chasing?

To answer this would actually require many pages... and likely some debate.

In short, I think it most client developers should not attempt to chase referrals/search continuations as doing it well takes lots of energy and thought.

I'm a supporter of extending LDAP to actually support chaining, and then taking time to specify chaining semantics.   What we have today is LDAP proxying which isn't quite the same thing (no separation of "client request" vs "chaining server provided information").  But I digress.

-- Kurt