Re: Is this possible? Suggestions?

> Hi Folks,
>
> Please point me to the correct place to ask my query if this is not where
> I should be doing so.
>
> History:
> We have a series of Drupal based web sites that we are working towards
> creating a single sign-on setup using LDAP and the Drupal LDAP modules.
> This all works fine and this is not a Drupal question. . .
>
> We are in a department at a university where there is a centrally managed
> LDAP server that we can query against. We would like to allow some users
> of our who are not part of the university (they are not staff, students,
> or faculty) and the central IT guys do not want to add non-university
> members to their LDAP directory.  Makes sense and is completely fair.
>
> We thought that we would setup our own LDAP server to query against. We
> can set up Drupal to query multiple LDAP servers. So we could set it to
> request information from our LDAP server and if it does not find a match,
> then it can look to the university's server and return log in credentials.
>
> Problem:
> Some of the users who are in the university's LDAP server may require to
> have other attributes assigned to them that only we are aware of. We do
> not want multiple accounts (ie userA on our server and userA on the
> university's server) just to assign more attributes to the user.
>
> We thought that a translucent overlay in our LDAP server might be our
> solution, but it seems that we would not be able to create our own users
> on this server, but only assign the added attributes...
>

> Question:
> Is there a way that we can setup an LDAP server to allow us to have our
> own accounts as well as look upstream to the master server and return log
> in credentials with some of our own attributes assigned if it does not
> find a local account? It would, of course, have to not allow log in if the
> account is not present in either server.

Setup:
a) a local database
b) another local database, with slapo-translucend

store in (a) local-only users; use (b) to add local attributes to remote
users.  Glue (a) and (b) together; for example,

# local users
database hdb
suffix "ou=local,dc=example,dc=com"
subordinate
# ...

# remote users with local attrs
database hdb
suffix "dc=example,dc=com"
# ...
overlay translucent
# ...

Requests for "ou=local,dc=example,dc=com" will be dealt with locally;
requests for "dc=example,dc=com" will be dealt with by both databases
seamlessly, in a single operation.

p.