Re: Partial replication

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 08:43:19AM +0200, Zdenek Styblik wrote:

> How about to refuse rights to the syncrepl user?
> Actually, you could apply this to the whole tree. Just allow read to DNs
> you want to replicate. So, let's say you use cn=mirrorA,dc=domain,dc=tld
> for replication, then allow this cn=mirrorA to read only
> o=support,dc=example,dc=com and o=location_A,dc=example,dc=com, but nowhere
> else.

I have used that technique for a fairly complex design with a central
office and many small satellites. It works OK *provided* you never change
the list of entries that can be seen by the replicas. The syncrepl
system has no way to evaluate the effect of an ACL change (and probably
no way to know that one has happenned).

In this case it may be better to set up multiple replication agreements
to cover the multiple subtrees required at the slave server. That would
also make it possible to chain or refer queries for the rest of the
DIT back to the master.

Andrew